On 2020-04-14 12:35, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 04/14/2020 01:15 PM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
RHEL is a defunct, locked down version of Fedora,
bugs and all.  The idea is that you can rely on
things, including the locked in bugs, not changing
and breaking your stuff, if you can get it to
work properly to start with.

That's a rather biased way to describe RHEL.  I think it's more objective to describe Fedora as a bleeding edge test bed where new programs and procedures can have the bugs swatted, and RHEL a more mainstream distro that takes advantage of what's learned in Fedora.

Not really.  I suffered with RHEL clones for years.
It drove me I-N-S-A-N-E.

Where do you get that Fedora is Bleeding Edge?  If
clearly is not.  Fedora has a whole host of testers
that make sure it is not bleeding edge.  We only see
new stuff when it gets past them.

You see the latest Thunderbird yet?  You see the
latest Firefox yet?  Fedora is "next to Bleeding
Edge".  The process is beautiful.

You can watch and participate in the process over on:

    For testing and quality assurance of Fedora releases
    <t...@lists.fedoraproject.org>

RHEL is mainstream in what universe?  Mainstream
if you compare it to something ten years ago.   RHEL
is so locked down that it is very difficult to get
any decent bug fixes or enhancement installed.
"Legacy" would be a better description than "Mainstream".

And if you dare approach a software developer on the
subject, their derision of you running such an
outdated monstrosity is palpable.  They won't help
you as they think you are an idiot.

Also, RHEL does not take advantage of what
was learned on Fedora unless you mean an outdated,
defunct version of Fedora, bugs and all.  RHEL
is frozen.  It does not improve.  Doing
that would risk something (else) going wrong
and breaking the outdated code it does run.