On 2020-04-14 12:50, DJ Delorie wrote:
ToddAndMargo via users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org> writes:
The idea is that you can rely on things, including the locked in bugs,

As someone who has a full time job fixing bugs in RHEL, I can
emphatically state that this is not the case at all.

If you want a bug fixed in RHEL, contact your RHEL account manager or
file a RHEL bug.  We prioritize bug fixes according to customer need and
impact.  For example, we won't fix a bug that requires an ABI change if
we promise no ABI changes, etc.  But this is what our customers want.

You seem to have a bias against RHEL but the things you list as weak
points are considered benefits by others.  When an OS upgrade with
recertification could take MONTHS, you absolutely want something that's
not going to change for years on end, yet still has security fixes and
tech support behind it.

In my technical opinion, RHEL is trash,

Please stop trash-talking something just because it isn't the best
choice for you.  Choose something more appropriate and move on.

Hi DJ,

I was outlining the differnces between the two.
I was being blunt and to the point.

Not to trash talk your project, but I have bugs in
RHEL that have not been address for over S-E-V-E-N
years.  So RHEL's "prioritization" is different from
mine and also different from the way Fedora handles
things.

Then again, I was using Clones of RHEL and as such,
until enough paying subscriber complained, nothing
was going to happen.

It is like the Broken Windows method crime fighting:
if you ignore the little crimes,  then the big ones
will get out of hand.  It does not matter that
bugs reported from the community would strengthen the
overall health of the the product.  It only matters
if something major occurs and it affect subscribers.

And RHEL is good fit for set and forget applications,
provided your application will run on such an outdated
distribution.  But you can do that with any operating
system, including that one whose name I shall not mention,
by turning off the updates.

You are correct, an Anti-Kaisen distribution clearly
does not meet my needs.  I don't see it meeting
a lot of other people's needs either, except in certain
unique situations.

Hopefully, you hearing this from me will change the
culture somewhat at Red Hat, but you need to hear
this or you will never improve the product so it is
usable for more people.

RHEL is perfect if you need an Anti-Kaisen distribution.

Otherwise, go with a Kaisen distribution.  Fedora
is perfect for that.

-T