Roger Ye wrote:

No offense, I bet you're an American and never read the joke which involves trilingual, bilingual and American

I am from Germany, not sure how close that counts to being American ;-) Anyway, you're right, I can't remember the joke you referred to.

please consider what if in Linux you've set LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8, but in your system no application respects this system wide setting.

I just mean "system wide" is quite coarse granular. Had you never the need to change this setting on a per-application basis?

Benjamin