Rainer Pruy wrote:

This might be true for an all java world,
nevertheless, in case the maven default deviates from your platform one,
how does an editor know where to get the proper encoding for a given file?
(It would be quite difficult to enrich *any* editor around with some logic to default to "maven" encoding in case there is a pom along the path. so, it might work for IDEs where all aspects are tightly integrated..)

(Personally, I would not like to be forced to dump good ol' vi (;-))

Surely, text editors shouldn't be aware of a Maven POM somewhere hanging around with an encoding setting burried in it, nor should people drop their favorite editors. I simply expect the user to tell both Maven and its text editor what the desired encoding is. I mean, when you work on a Maven project and its sources, you would like to edit a file with the same encoding as your colleagues do, don't you? So it's not about syncing your editor to Maven but syncing Maven to the convention of your team.

Benjamin