At 11:20 08/03/2009 -0500, Barbara Duprey wrote:
Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
<snip>
OOo automatically forces odds and evens to right and left. No need for the user to do anything. Indeed, users cannot overcome this arrangement, This enforced right and left can cause problems in printing double-sided if there are any automatically inserted blank pages, as noted above.
<snip>

Thanks for this info, Jean. What seems to have happened to Joe was that the blank pages were not automatically inserted, he had to add one manually. I tried a test document where I reset page number 4 to page number 1 (with page style Default), and no blank page 4 was generated, so the print would not have worked for duplex. (Left got only page 2, right got 1, 3, and 1.) What exactly governs whether Writer generates the blank pages?

I'm not Jean, but I think it depends only on the setting at Tools | Options... | OpenOffice.org Writer | Print | Other | Print automatically inserted blank pages (also reachable on the fly at File | Print... | Options... | Other | Print automatically inserted blank pages). With this ticked, you get the blank page; without it, you don't. Either way, the same pages are treated as left and right.

I think the point of this setting is that you will want it ticked if you are actually intending to print double-sided (whether you achieve this manually or automatically) and not ticked - to avoid a pointless totally blank sheet - if you are printing single-sided.

Brian Barker