Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
Barbara Duprey wrote:
Brian Barker wrote:
At 11:20 08/03/2009 -0500, Barbara Duprey wrote:
Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
<snip>
OOo automatically forces odds and evens to right and left. No need for the user to do anything. Indeed, users cannot overcome this arrangement, This enforced right and left can cause problems in printing double-sided if there are any automatically inserted blank pages, as noted above.
<snip>

Thanks for this info, Jean. What seems to have happened to Joe was that the blank pages were not automatically inserted, he had to add one manually. I tried a test document where I reset page number 4 to page number 1 (with page style Default), and no blank page 4 was generated, so the print would not have worked for duplex. (Left got only page 2, right got 1, 3, and 1.) What exactly governs whether Writer generates the blank pages?

I'm not Jean, but I think it depends only on the setting at Tools | Options... | OpenOffice.org Writer | Print | Other | Print automatically inserted blank pages (also reachable on the fly at File | Print... | Options... | Other | Print automatically inserted blank pages). With this ticked, you get the blank page; without it, you don't. Either way, the same pages are treated as left and right.

I think the point of this setting is that you will want it ticked if you are actually intending to print double-sided (whether you achieve this manually or automatically) and not ticked - to avoid a pointless totally blank sheet - if you are printing single-sided.

Brian Barker

I don't think that's it, because I have that option checked and did not get the automatic insertion. I thought it might have to do with using the Left and Right page styles, or maybe something about options on page breaks and/or heading definitions.

Brian: thanks for pointing out that setting, which I had forgotten about.
Actually, I mentioned that setting in my first note responding to Joe :-) (thought it might be his problem, but it was the missing "blank" page).

Barbara: Did you actually print the document or view it in book layout (using the View layout choices in the status bar or in Page Preview)? You won't see an automatically-inserted blank page on screen in the usual single-page editing view, but you will see it in the other views.
I printed it, with the result that I got page 2, then 1, 3, 1. There was also a truly blank page (no footer), but I think that was a double-sheet feed error on my printer. I threw the file away, but I could recreate it if you'd like me to follow this up.

I need to add something specific about double-sided printing to the Writer Guide. I thought it was there, but I can't find it.
Sounds like a plan! That'll be great. I guess there's a degree of printer dependency in it, so it won't be the easiest thing to describe, but it will certainly be useful information.

This list is great for picking up errors and omissions in the docs!
Sure is -- there's almost always somebody who trips over anything like that. Unfortunately, we're not always good about filing issues!

--Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
Co-Lead, Documentation Project