Thanks Keith - your summary of my question was spot on!
James

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 1:30 PM
Subject: [users] Re: Unwanted updates - what to do with them.?

Web Kracked wrote:
James Elliott - WA Rural Computers wrote:
The icon and pop up note appeared at the top right hand corner of my OOo Writer (3.1) screen to say that new updates were available. I clicked on it and found out that the update was for the French dictionary extension. As I am Australian this update was of no interest to me so I clicked on the "Cancel" button and went back to working on my Writer document.

However, the update icon is still in the top right hand corner of my OOo screen, and I feel obliged to click on it every now and again just in case there are new updates available, perhpas ones that I am interested in downloading.

How do I get rid of the update icon after deciding that I do not want that particular update?

Many thanks,  James

Well, it is all up to you, You can update your extensions or
not.  I update them whenever they come.  I added the extensions
to OOo, so I would want to keep them up to date.

Tim L.
retired and tired of MS
Tim;
If you look closely at what the op said it was a French dictionary update that was being offered and he doesn't use it. I don't believe he even added it to begin with. If I remember correctly the French Dictionary shipped and installed with 3.0.0 and above. It would be nice if there was a way to keep updates that you do not want or need for what ever reason not to show up after you tell it to pass. I know it bugs the heck out of me to keep seeing that update reminder only to see it is again for a dictionary that I did not install nor have no occasion to use.

Regards
Keith