I forgot to add :
Since previously the application was running on a Win2K server, it may be that this Win2K server just "shared" (windows-like) the directory where the .ics files were located, and this being in a local LAN, that the client were just writing the files there via a Windows network file mechanism (and nothing to do with HTTP thus).
That sounds quite unsafe and limited, but in a small intranet may be acceptable.
If such was the case (and again the client setup should contain a hint), then maybe all that's missing is to "share" the new directory under Tomcat where you put the files. Tomcat won't be involved in the writing part, so it should not stand in the way, at least as long as when a client writes there, the permissions don't prevent Tomcat from reading the files (for the "download" part).

Don't take this as a recommendation of how to do it.

André Warnier wrote:
Right.
There should be some setting/parameter corresponding to the Thunderbird plugin, which indicates /how/ it is trying to write files to the server.
In Options..Advanced..Config Editor ?
I find some traces there in my Thunderbird setup, of parameters starting with "SyncKolab".. (That may be something else though)

The point which several people were trying to make here is :
Any "sane" webserver setup will never allow a user to /upload/ files to the server, just by specifying their URL. That is because it is potentially a very big security hole. (One generally does not want the first miscreant around to deface one's server by loading his own pages or applications)

It is /possible/ to allow this (and there are even special HTTP commands to do that), but you need to add something to the server, in terms of additional modules to handle such uploads, and a special (and careful) configuration to go with it. It is not sufficient to just put the files somewhere where they can be seen and retrieved by a browser, and make them writeable. Thankfully. (Note that all this is not specific to Tomcat. Any reasonable webserver is like that.)

One such fairly standard server add-on, in the case of Tomcat, is the DAV application. It is available on the Tomcat website, but not as part of the standard download (I think), and it is certainly not installed by default.

It is not the only way, and maybe this particular plugin expects the webserver to run an application which comes along with the plugin. But again, you'd need to install it on the server, it will not be there by default.

In any case, one would expect, either in the plugin documentation or in the parameters somwhere on the client, to find a hint as to how the file upload to the server is supposed to happen.

Dean Hoover wrote:
Fair enough, Chuck.

I don't know exactly what writes the file, but since we are using the
Lightning add-on from Thunderbird, I would assume that Lightning is doing
the work.

As far as how it used to work, everyone would read from the .ics calendar on the old server from Lightning via a web link. Those with the proper access
were able to write to it for adding/updating/deleting calendar entries.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the feedback.  It seems that this is a
little more involved than I thought, which is fine.  I see there are
open-source alternatives, so I will pursue those.

It's all good.  Thanks again.

Dean

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Caldarale, Charles R <