You should the other getResource*() methods, those on Class:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/Class.html#getResourceAsStream(java.lang.String)

Regards,
   Erik.

Michael Mehrle wrote:
Right now I had to resort to the solution below, but I would very much
like to know the standard way of doing this, as this required me to
place my properties file into the src/main/resources folder:

static {
                try {

properties.load(Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().getResour
ceAsStream(
                                        "MyComponent.properties"));
                } catch (Exception e) {
                        LOG.error("Unable to load file
MyComponent.properties' - error: {}", e.getMessage(), e);

        public static String getProperty(String key) {
                return properties.getProperty(key);