John, if you keep your conversation data in the component (as a java field), and you work with listeners in that component (e.g. with a Link), that data is available in the listener (e.g. Link's onClick callback method).

While coding the component you should not worry about where that data is stored between requests. Of course you can influence this by choosing a page store during application initialization. The default however, is mostly the best choice.

Regards,
    Erik.

John Patterson wrote:
Hi, I need to store some kind of multi-request transaction data somewhere and
I guess that the PageMap is a better place than the session.  I don't see
much talk of custom page maps on the list.  Are they still a recommended way
to store things for a browser window?

John