If I was a consulting company I'd also suggest rewriting in React.

But upgrading to latest/greatest Wicket is not too bad, even if it is
Wicket 1.4 code. There are gotcha's, but since probably the whole Wicket
community upgraded their projects way before you guys, the issues are
pretty much well documented in the migration guides.

For now I'd suggest upgrading up to Wicket 9 at maximum, and see what
breaks. Wicket 10 has the javax - jakarta package rename IIRC, so that will
probably mean upgrading your complete stack.

I don't know how many pages and custom components you need to migrate. At
€dayjob we've upgraded our 3-4 major applications of in total 5M lines of
code consistently, and typically the upgrades from 1.4 to 1.5 to 6 were the
toughest. From there on it was not that hard (a couple of days for a major
upgrade). But at that time, Wicket was really in heavy development and we
did upgrade to betas all the time so there was usually some considerable
rework necessary at that time to even out the wrinkles.

Martijn