This sounds like a possible bug (or perhaps a configuration issue) in
vdelivermail.

With MySQL aliases, vdelivermail handles delivery.  It's finding the ssiad
forward first and delivering the message there (since "-secretariat" is an
extension to that mailbox).

By deleting the alias record stored in MySQL and replacing it with a dot-qmail
file (.qmail-ssiad), you're allowing Qmail to handle its delivery before the
message is handed off to vdelivermail.

It's been a long time since I've worked with the vpopmail source code, but I
imagine you'll find logic in vdelivermail that has it checking for aliases
before mailboxes, and it's iterating through all possible base/extension pairs
(foo-bar-baz, then foo-bar, then foo).

-Tom

!DSPAM:53593f3d34268127549349!