Paul, I think what you are doing is fabulous.  I posted a message
telling you that this appeal made me realize how important it was that
I get my annual donation off to Jimmy Carter whom I trust 'more' than
I trust comic relief.

I have Jimmy Carter's last appeal on a "check-to-write-tomorrow" table
in my livingroom and will certainly do so tomorrow.

Don't be disillusioned by the failure of others on this list to sign
on and donate.  Like I said, I get dozens of fund appeals.  Generally
speaking, I usually prefer to give money directly (in hand if
possible) to activist instead of giving money to "ANY" organization.

First of all, you have to realize that "our" rich world stands by
while 5 million people (most living on $1 per day) die because they
simply don't have clean drinking water.

I'm reminded of the observation that if a millionaire gave just
one-cent to every beggar in India, he/she would have gone bankrupt
without having really done anything to mitigate suffering in the world.

There was a wonderful short film on The Sundance Channel this month.
I don't recall the title but the film focuses on a boy in the back of
a classroom whose teacher tells the class that 'today' she is going to
give them the most important lesson they will ever receive in life.

When she reaches his desk, she only has one "reason for life" booklet
left.  She tells him and the ignorant bully sitting next to him that
they have "to share" the last booklet.

The ignorant bully, who isn't even reading the booklet, refuses to let
him see it.  In frustration, he rushes out of the classroom and
through the hallways of the school.  In every room, students are
engrossed in this booklet "The Lessons of life".

Finally, he knocks in desperation on the door where the school
administrators are having a meeting.  His teacher answers the door.
he tells her that the fellow sitting next to him in class "refuses to
share" the booklet with him.

"That's the most important lesson you can learn about life," the
teacher replies and then closes the door in his face.

It's a wonderful six-minute-long short film.  Your complaint makes me
think of that movie and how true it all is.

People will spend thousands of dollars on gas-guzzling cars,
over-priced clothing, lattes at StarBucks, etc. but few will reach
into their pockets and make a $20 donation that might actually save
human lives.

Sad but true!

Just to lift your spirits, I'm going to make a $20 donation.  Don't
know about this group but feel I know what fabulous human being you
are and I don't want you to become disillusioned about humanity in general

Vloggingly yours,

Randolfe (randy) Wicker
Hoboken, NJ
One mile West of the center of the known world.