Carter,

I really like what you guys are doing with crowdabout.us.

Have you thought about separating "Author comments" from user
comments, so that we can add links and extra description to stuff
that's happening, as it happens - and mark this as different from the
user comments - it might encourage more people to use it, because at
the moment "Comments" feels like it's something only users should do.

What I REALLY want in the end from web video players is for the image
of whatever I'm showing to be clickable *within the video frame* at
the moment its shown, so that people can click it while it's on
screen and open a new browser tab with more info to read or watch
later - so that if I show the Peter Pan monument in Hyde Park
prominently in background of my video, people could click it JUST
LIKE I'D LET THEM CLICK THE WORDS "PETER PAN MONUMENT" FOR MORE INFO
IF I MENTIONED IT IN A *TEXT* BLOG DESCRIPTION OF MY DAY.

Up til now, if you want people to know more about something you show
in a video, you have to either write about it in a big block of
"Video description" (essentially an adjacent text blog) or describe
it in voiceover and titles on the video itself.  That's not exactly
harnessing the power of the web, is it?  In blog/hyperlinking terms,
videoblogs are pretty inert, inflexible un-networked things.

But doing all this in a time-based comments bar on crowdabout.us will
be good for me for now.  A big step forward for video *blogging* in
my book, and a definite advantage over YouTube.  Just got to figure
out how to make it work with my current set-up and feed.

Did any of that make any sense??

Rupert
http://www.fatgirlinohio.org/
http://feeds.feedburner.com/fatgirlinohio/