First of all, remember the name.. YOUTUBE.  remember the tagline...
BROADCAST YOURSELF.
Thats what their focus was supposed to be on.  The User Generated Content.

But they realized, or maybe knew all along, that a more lucrative goal would
be to become TV for the net.
And as the inevitable happened... pirated shows being uploaded, they were
fine with it and the loads of traffic it brought them.
It might not be the case now but at one point these pirated shows were
regularly featured on their front page.

So.... if they really want to avoid the problem, they would need to do
things like curating/moderating (could be crowdsourced), banning users,
limiting upload sizes and relying more on webcam recordings etc...  But they
dont want to only be the longtail king.  They want that juicy torso content
be they want that MSM head too.  Directors?  MSM deals?

Fact is, they got lucky but they also took advantage of the sudden boom of
this online video revolution and enjoyed the ride to being the top
trafficked video site.

This has nothing to do with the open media revolution.  This is the open
pirate video revolution.  And it doesnt last forever.

--
Sull
http://vlogdir.com (a project)