Daryl,

Some other people like will give you different and probably better
answers about why people use anything other than Flash, and views
about quality/downloadability versus streaming, etc.

I'll stick to the Flash version / compatibility thing because I
happen to have the numbers to hand.

It's true that most people have *A* version of Flash - but it's a
question of what version and how techie your audience are.

Adobe say 98% of computers have Flash player.

Something like 90-95% worldwide have Flash 7, which is what YouTube
plays on, but it uses an old compression format and isn't very good
quality.  So a lot of people might like to provide a higher quality
(say Quicktime) alternative if streaming with Flash 7.

Flash 8 and the new Flash 9 offer *much* better quality, but far
fewer people in the general population have them.  Flash 9 has only
56% penetration in 'Mature Markets' (rich countries).  That's less
than Quicktime or Windows Media Player or even Real.
See:
http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/
version_penetration.html
and http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/
(These are optimistic, and I think they've made a mistake in their
Emerging Markets Flash 9 figure)

To use a Blip.tv video, a lot of people will have to download an
updated player - and even though it's only a couple of meg, it's too
much for many non techie people.  I'm amazed how many of my family
and friends (in their 30s!) call me up and say "It tells me I need
Flash 9 player, so I couldn't see it." or "You'll have to install it
next time you're round".  The phone call has involved more time and
effort than clicking the link to install Flash 9, but they don't know
that.  They're used to clicking a YouTube link and seeing the video,
no effort.

Giving all the formats means you widen the options for your
audience.   Just one reason to do this is so that they can set an
aggregator such as iTunes to download high quality QT files and use
them in things like iPods.  I watch most vlogs on an iPod at the
moment, travelling between clients on the tube and bus.  (No doubt
I'll soon get mugged.)  It's possible to convert a flv file to iPod
and transfer it, but too much hassle.  This way, they just come in
automatically.

By using a program like VisualHub, you can do multiple format
conversions, upload them to Blip (who let you upload multiple
versions) and give your audience the choice.  Then, if you see some
formats are not getting enough hits to justify the effort, stop
providing them.

Rupert

Rupert
http://www.fatgirlinohio.org