Sorry to mess wit yo hed :-)
What you should really do is get Linux.
Just kidding.
I haven't seen a direct comparison resource yet but I haven't really
really looked - and SO much of it is subjective and will be argued
over passionately by Mac lovers and Mac haters (it's the Mac factor
that polarises - you don't really get PC lovers in the same way) -
often the discussions online are about as informative as people
debating who's the best sports team.  More and more it's just a
matter of taste and comfort, I think, rather than which is better.

I still like my Macs (although maybe my love has died), and I've
suffered from Dell, Toshiba and Sony hard drive failures too, so you
can't win.  All crashes on any computer are disastrous and time
consuming, even if you've backed up.  The thing about Apple, though,
is they are getting a bad rep for failing just after the warranty
runs out... so you pay a lot for Apple Care - and then you hear
horror stories about Apple Care refusing to cover stuff, even though
you've paid.  I personally have had both very bad and very good Apple
customer service in the last 12 months.

One of the reasons I'd never get rid of Mac completely is Final Cut
Pro, which I know really well and which runs really well on my Macs.
But... you know... you hear some pretty good things about Premiere
and Vegas from people in this Group, too.  If I lost everything in a
fire, would I replace with Macs...?  Probably only because I feel
safe with FCP and I don't know the others.  If there was a solid
Linux editing app that people raved about, I think I might take the
plunge and switch to that just on principle... because I don't really
like the way either Microsoft or Apple do business.

As far as Vista, all I've had is a few short plays on some of my
clients' new computers, and it seems like a good fusion of OS X and
XP.  But I don't *really* know enough yet.  It's the most important
thing to bear in mind when you're buying a new PC now.  There's poor
driver support for old devices, and it's very hungry, so you need a
high-spec PC, but even basic Macs have always been quite high spec to
do the things they do (and subsequently perceived as over-priced,
because the entry level is expensive).  Maybe the days of cheap,
grinding PCs are coming to an end - and maybe that's what Microsoft
and the hardware manufacturers want.  Most of the people I see who
are being driven mad by slow computers (XP AND OS X) are suffering as
a result of being sold too little RAM (usually 256MB) at the start.
As for upgrading to Vista on an old PC... life is too short.

Hope that's confused you sufficiently.  Good luck. :)

Rupert
http://www.fatgirlinohio.org
http://www.crowdabout.us/fatgirlinohio/myshow/