The problem that I have with people making a big deal that Steven
Bochco is doing an internet series is that there's nothing "Steven
Bochco" about it.  See for yourself. <http://www.metacafe.com/cc>.  If
you remove his name from the series, you have a bunch of random people
standing around in non-descript locations telling unverifiable stories
that the viewer is supposed to accept as truth about that person's life.

Period.

Make a big deal when he's involved with something groundbreaking, like
his television work.  I mean, come on.  "Cafe Confidential" isn't even
"39 Second Single"! <http://www.39secondsingle.blogspot.com/>. "39"
has editing, backgrounds, characters, punchlines.....  You could bring
a backdrop with you and film 44 episodes of "Cafe Confidential" in any
mall in the country in one week.  How are you going to make a big deal
that someone (according to IMDB <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004766/>)
who's won 10 Emmy Awards has lent his name to a project with
ABSOLUTELY.ZERO.PRODUCTION.VALUE? hahahaha :/

Here's what MetaCafe had to say about it on their blog:
<http://blog.metacafe.com/?p=109>

"So what is Cafe Confidential? It's a whole new section of Metacafe.
And it's all about storytelling - the girl next door and the guy
across hall telling you about their craziest experiences, with no
scripts, no sets and no special effects."

"Café Confidential was conceived by Hollywood producer Steven Bochco.
After creating such hit television series as "NYPD Blue" and "L.A.
Law," Bochco wanted to find a new generation of storytellers - but not
another screenwriter. His Café Confidential team scouted the streets
and malls of L.A. in search of interesting young men and women."

"These "amateur" storytellers weren't afraid to get personal as they
described their dates, their jobs and their families. Bochco then
selected the best of the stories for Metacafe, which is what you'll
find at Café Confidential right now."

So, actually, Steven Bochco has NOTHING to do with the series except
giving the yay or nay to whatever his APs went out and shot.

Anyone else could have done exactly the same thing, and it would have
gotten ZERO press.  I think I'll make a series about people standing
at bus stops around my city and call it "Bus Stop Confidential". :/

--
Bill C.
http://TheLab.ReelSolid.TV

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Gena" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Yeah, and this weekend I listened to an extremely intelligent, well-
> > respected man telling me that man-made global warming was a myth,
> > presumably just because he wanted to provoke a response / have an
> > iconoclastic opinion.   I didn't rise to that, either.
> >
> > These aren't really provocative - they're shallow subjective
personal
> > opinions based on limited experiences, masquerading as broad
> > statements of fact.
> >
> > I always assume that the majority of regular people think I'm weird
> > (or worse) for putting videos online, because I think they
probably do.

> > Define 'failure' as stated by David Scott Lexis, when he says 'video
> > blogs have been a failure'.  What have they failed at?
> >
> > So they're not as popular or accessible as American Idol (even here,
> > we're infected) but then neither is [fill in blank].  I guess [fill
> > in blank] has been a failure, too.  That's a really interesting
> > viewpoint, David - thanks for your input.
> >
> >  From all the scores of people that I know or have talked to about
my
> > videoblog in Real Life over the past 2 years, there are only 2 who
> > have blogs and maybe 3 others who ever read blogs.
> >
> > I forward on links to vlogs to my friends and family whenever I
think
> > they'd be interested in a particular video - but not one has ever
> > wanted to have a vlog or blog themselves or to continue to watch or
> > read by themselves.
> >
> > The overwhelming majority of people you talk to in the UK think that
> > blogs are confessional public diaries for narcissists (not that
> > they've ever read one, if you ask).  By this measure, 'blogs have
> > been a failure'
> >
> > As for that other guy "Erick"s definition of entertainment... yawn.
> > Some people make them.  Some people watch them.  Some people enjoy
> > them.  Some people do good and interesting things and reach
audiences
> > that they couldn't have reached before.  What possible relevance has
> > someone's subjective viewpoint of 'boring' or 'failure' got to do
> > with this?  My wife Kate is enjoying the new American Idol.  I'd
> > rather drill out my own teeth than sit through it.  So what?
> >
> > I don't really know why I'm replying to this, because I don't think
> > these opinions are worth getting bothered about.  I'm just putting
> > off work.  Now that *is* boring.  Maybe I'll just watch a few videos
> > before I start.
> >
> > Rupert
> > http://www.fatgirlinohio.org
> > http://www.crowdabout.us/fatgirlinohio/myshow/
> >
> > On 19 Mar 2007, at 10:43, Michael Schaap wrote:
> >
> > FYI
> >
> > In the comments on a short TechCrunch review (http://tinyurl.com/
> > 2bcqx5) about VLIP i
> > read the following provocative statements:
> >
> > 'Erick' writes:
> >
> > "Unless a person is at least the slightest bit entertaining,
Vlogging
> > stinks. I dont want to
> > look at some weirdo sitting at home/work talking into a webcam about
> > their lame day or
> > skill or opinion. If you arent as entertaining as Ze Frank, then you
> > stink and nobody wants
> > to hear/see you..."
> >
> > and David Scott Lexis writes:
> >
> > "Video blogs have been a failure, as I noted in a couple of AlwaysOn
> > Network columns.
> > Videos are one thing; automatically downloading video blogs (or
video
> > podcasts; I prefer
> > "video podcasts") is too bandwidth intensive, too slow, takes up too
> > much hard disk space.
> >
> > You want to leave your computer on all night to download video
> > podcasts? Well, good for
> > you … but you're in the minority. How many video podcasts have been
> > successful? Do any
> > have over 10,000 subscribers to their feed?
> >
> > Compare and contrast with "standard" blogs — such as this one.
Matter