I had a very similar job.  We stuck new spots in old shows, showed them to a
group of respondents, and administered surveys afterwards to test the
effectiveness of the commercial.  One of my duties was to paste the new
commercials in over the top of last week's batch.  So I would fast-forward
through 10 minutes or so of a discarded ABC pilot from 1987 about a female
mayor's office in a big city, cut in a commercial for Axe body spray (not
that, but something similar), then fast-forward to the next commercial
break.

When I would leave for lunch, I would get a headache as soon as I stepped
out the front door from all the natural light and non-fast-forwarded
reality.  That lasted about 6 months.

Interesting thing I learned from that job is that almost every big brand
commercial you see has gone through similarly rigorous testing for several
months before they actually air it.  They test the first draft, make
changes, test again, make changes, on and on until they get they're desired
% of positive responses from the testing groups.

Think about that next time you're forced to sit through a shitty commercial.

Long live TiVo.

--
Adam Quirk
Wreck & Salvage