Well not all publishers are members of SOCAN, but I imagine most of
the big labels are, and SOCAN have deals with other copyright
collectives in other countries, so that their work is also covered.

So in general the safe assumption is to presume it covers all
copyrighted music.

The main intention of these things is to collect royalties where it
would be difficult to do so on a 'per case' basis. Eg a radio station
plays so many tracks, they dont want to have to do a deal with each
record company every time they play a song, so they keep playlists
which are submitted to the rights body, who then calculate royalties
and share those royaltis with its members. So if you are an artist who
copyrights their work, youd probably want to join one of these things
so that you get your royalty cheque.

Now in your example of the friend with a band, it would depend on
whether that band had signed any deals. Those deals might have
reassigned the copyright for their songs to the record label. Unless
the friend has retained the right to personally give or sell licenses
to use the work to other people, then he doesnt have the right to give
you permission to use the song. The record company could come after
you, because they are the copyright holder and you dont have their
permission.

You are most likely to have SOCAN and others demanding you get a
license from them, if you are are repeatedly using music. Im sure
there have been cases where the venue or company has claimed it only
uses public domain or other music it has the right to, in which case
SOCAN might look for a specific violation, eg singing happy birthday,
to use as an example. But generally they arent copyright police who
will go after each and every person who violates the copyright of
specific musicians, they are looking for venues, companies, radio
shows, and now it seems podcasts, that are regularily performing
copyrighted music.

And SOCAN only cover the performance rights, not mechanical rights,
which some other copyright collective will deal with.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Iliya Krempeaux"

http://maketelevision.com/