>  1) What is the value of a YouTube viewer and subscriber .
>  2) For those vloggers who have posted to YouTube, what value have you
>  seen?

here's an example.
we posted a video on our site:
http://ryanishungry.com/2007/04/22/wendy-tremayne-and-mikey-sklar-green-pioneers/

Mikey (who's featured in the video) uploaded it to Youtube:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xO6YZa2ZB44

About 5,000 people watched the video on our site.
About 50,000 people watched it through Youtube. (we must have been put
on the front page)

Is there a difference?
I guess not really. We certainly got more relevant comments on our own site.
Like Quirk says, its important to reach out beyond the communities we
already know.
I think its important to have your own site so you control your
archives and context in which to watch your videos. But go ahead and
put them other places and see how it works out.

For Youtube, I find that the most regularly popular ones are more just
people talking into webcams. people have discussions, arguments,
joking etc. its extremely social.

So again its not an either or for me...
what i appreciate is when Mikey and Wendy (in the video) send it to
all their friends because we helped tell their story. Word starts
spreading and information is exchanged. Wendy is now here at Maker's
Faire(http://makerfaire.com/) and said she had 5 people come up to her
to find out about her project in NM. That's the connection I seek.

with any creator...i think its important to make stuff with the
audience you want to reach in mind. Just throwing it on youtube and
expecting something to have effect just seems harmless at best.

Jay

--
Here I am....
http://jaydedman.com