There seems to be quite a good discussion about it here, some of the
comments contain a lot of info:

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/05/16/elgato-turbo-264-new-shipping/

Sounds like it will be a good use of money espeially for people with
G4 or G5 where encoding h264 can be insanely painful. Things arent
quite so bad with the intel macs, but that device should still make a
difference so I'll get one.

Interested to note that one of the rumours in the comments is that
Apple have GPU-assisted encoding built into leopard. So that will use
some of the graphics card processing power to decode/encode, making it
similar to the Elgate turbo.264 in terms of what it achieves, and
similar to some of the Windows graphics card history I was waffling
about yesterday. Wont be much good for people with the cheaper macs
that have non-powerful graphics chips in though.

Cheers

Steve Elbows