Wow. Valerie was rather..erm...brazen. I'd have needed a shower after
reading such self-serving tripe. When will people get that forcing outcomes
like this just. doesn't. work in the long-term?

Perhaps PodTech might want to get consulting from the consistently
forthright, diplomatic and direct (warts and all) Blip.tv, who has my
neverending respect. They've had to deal with tough decisions, technical
warts and all sorts of snafus – and I have yet to see them surmount a
challenge with any degree of nastiness, contrived sentiment or lack of
grace. As an ad/PR person, I can tell you that they've generated PR that
companies pay tens of millions to agencies for – by just being organic,
respectful and honest. They make it look very easy, and perhaps that's
because common sense and respect IS easy.

Thanks to Michael and all ye who put up with such nonsense hoping it will
pay dividends for vloggers.

On 24/07/07, Michael Verdi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Personally, I don't like the idea of an awards show at all. Last year
> I tried to argue that point but it was clear that so many people
> wanted one and that PodTech was determined to put one on that I tried
> to help make it good by offering suggestions and by being a judge. The
> main factor that had it be successful (though I guess PodTech lost
> money on it) was Irina. She was really the keeper of the Vloggies
> soul. Had it been left up to others at PodTech, we would have seen
> something much different. Here's a quote by PodTech's Valerie
> Cunningham (emphasis is her's) from the vloggies wiki back in August
> last year - http://vloggies.pbwiki.com/FrontPage.2006-08-21-17-50-17 :
> "VALERIE:
> [snip]
> - To be clear: there are two awards per category: "Favorite category
> name" and "Community Choice Award" We are giving OUR chosen favorite
> an award, and then announcing the community's choice.
> [snip]
> - We need to think of the categories in line with PodTech's affiliate
> content roadmap, ie Tech, News, Entertainment, Politics, Lifestyle –
> pretty much in that order. Also, we need to think global. PodTech
> India is in the content roadmap. Obviously it's pretty broad. WE
> SHOULD KNOW WHO OUR FAVORITE CATEGORY WINNERS ARE – RIGHT NOW. Simple
> – who are our target affiliate/sister videoblog sites? Top 50 – across
> all the categories.
> [snip]
> - So let's refine these categories please with above in mind and I'd
> like to see the top 50 list or whatever – we should know who we want
> to come to this event, who PodTech's VIPs are in this community, so to
> speak – again in line with our affiliate goals, etc. Can we see that
> list by Wed this week, Irina?"
>
> This is the direction things were headed before we started talking
> about it here. With Irina no longer at PodTech is this how things will
> go this time?
>
> John, this is why you have to talk about this here and not on the
> phone with someone. If you want to engage this community then engage
> us. You can't have private, offline conversations about things like
> this.
>
> For everyone else, if you don't like the way PodTech is handling
> things then DON'T LET THEM HANDLE IT. Don't participate in their
> awards show and don't accept any awards. If nobody recognizes "The
> Vloggies" then it doesn't matter who owns the trademark.  If you still
> want awards then someone will have to organize the community to do it.
>
> - Verdi
>

> On 7/24/07, Kent Nichols <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Off-list?  If you want to engage my professional services, contact my
> >  agents.  Barrett Garese at UTA.
> >
> >  If you want to talk about the Vloggies, let's talk about the Vloggies
> >  here in public.
> >
> >  I support an open awards show that is owned by no company.  I think
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: