--I'm documenting my life and want to make sure I "own" my information.

Jay, this is exactly what keeps me going every post!
John Coffey

Jay dedman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          > well maybe i am just not getting it. But it looks to me like people
> want to stay in "youtube" and surf videos. Or stay in "myspace" or
> "facebook" and view videos and blogs, so why would I want to bother
> setting up my own blog and video steaming on my own web server. Why
> would anyone want to come to my own website, when they have these nice
> options?

A lot of bloggers are dealing with these issues.
for many people, sticking with a social network makes a lot of sense.
Obviously, if you're work is good and you particpate in the community,
people will get to know you.

A couple reasons why other people like to maintain their own site:
--A blog is an artform in itself. I want to be able to design it
anyway I want...with all the functionality I want.
--i want my own URL.
--i expect the current popular social media nettwork to be unpopular
in 5 years. It may be almost impossible to pull out old posts from
that site.
--I'm documenting my life and want to make sure I "own" my information.
--i want to sell ads on my own site and not deal with someone else's
terms of service.

I see many vloggers finding the happy medium.
They upload to Youtube or wherever.....but then archive the videos on
their own blog that has their own look. Best of both worlds.

Jay

--
http://jaydedman.com
917 371 6790

**check out the new look: ryanishungry.com**

Jimmy CraicHead TVVideo Podcast about Sailing, Travel, Craic and Cocktails
www.jchtv.com