My favorite example is ArtistShare

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArtistShare

Already they've had two musicians win grammies.  One in Jazz and the
other I believe was in Latin Music.

I've always dreamed of some sort of crowd funded journalism.

 i.e. 115 people looking for someone to cover podcamp san fran.

The closest thing I've seen is Alive in bagdad and Mexico.  The issue
is I think you have to build an institution around an idea, like a
newspaper, or an artist (like artistshare builds around musicians), or
a brand.  it's to much work to rais money for every event, you have to
build the equity in the videographer or artist.

-Mike
mefeedia.com
mmeiser.com/blog