Aha its nice to see HD back on the agenda :)

A few details:

Current version of flash can do high def, but the 'moviestar' version that is
in beta has the
following advantages:

h264 support
vp6 codec now has a version that uses less cpu
hardware scaling support in fullscreen (uses less cpu than existing fullscreen
method)

If you have a mac, the moviestar version of flash 9 was updated in November, I
guess to
improve performance on the mac:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html

Vime is doing true HD, and we are talking 720P (1280x720 24fps). I asuume their
stuff
works on the non-beta flash player, and so is using vp6 codec rather than h264.

The vimeo HD FAQ has some good info & encoding tips: http://vimeo.com/help/hd
They advise people to upload in h264, but as I said Im assuming they convert to
vp6 for
now, and this may change once Moviestar is out of beta.

Im not sure whether the Shrek etc demos are using h264 or not, the fact they
mention
Flash 8 makes me guess its vp6, but they do use the hardware-accelerated
fullscreen
mode, which will only work if you have the flash beta.

In practice both vp6 and h264 will be rather nice for 720P stuff, so many of
these details
wont matter to vloggers, especially if they have a video host like Vimeo
worrying about the
details. You are then free to concentrate on getting the HD content you upload
to your
host, to be the best queality, eg you must deinterlace.

I was waiting for the moviestar flash to get out of beta, so I could use 720P
h264 that I
had encoded & hosted myself, with the knowledge that the fullscreen mode would
be
smoother for people, and would hopefully run better on slightly slower
computers than
can currently handle this stuff.

An I still think decisions about whether to go to HD depend on what sort of
content you
produce, it probably wont ad that much to some vlogs, whilst others will really
shine with
the extra resolution.

Even if people dont want to up their resolution, I really do recommend people
try higher
framerates, the era of 12fps should really be over by now, and it really change
the feel of
content.

Cheers

Steve Elbows