Unsurprisingly I dont subscribe to the idea that arguments like these get in
the way of
other discussions or devalue them. If that happens, its because people choose
to let it
distract them.

Its fair enough that when things get nasty/ugly, some peoples reactions is to
get the
negative poop out of their lives, either by trying to shut others up, or by
leaving, or
whatever. Its some sort of natural internal defense I guess.

I was always up for forums rather than a signle list, though for different
reasons, and not
optimistic about it actually ever happening. Even with forums, arguments, spill
over to
other areas and the vibe-poisoning effect is stillt he same.

But would a world without such confrontations be a good thing? I think not, I
think in a
strange way it is necessary for people to get ugly to get to the bottom of
things. A world
in which nobody argues is a world in which unspeakable horrors are likely to go
unchecked
because they are unpalatable to think about. If liberals save the planet then
maybe I will
change my tune, and if everyone was as decent a human as you then this ugliness
would
not be necessary (not being sarcastic there, I think you have a great
personality), but for
now I remain sadly on the side that believes you get to learn a lot from
uglyness.

Cheers

Steve Elbows