Just a side track I guess on what may be a rhetorical question but a
question nonetheless:

On Dec 26, 2007, at 2:18 PM, Eddie Codel wrote:

> How many
> people do you think it takes to put out a daily Rocketboom episode?

In context of your show on Podtech, along with the very nice budget
that you had, as well as all of the business worries on someone
else's watch, I would suggest just two, as you had. I think three is
a great production number for a team but your budget would of been
able to support more talent, it was up to you to determine the
creative side I think. Over time, the success of the show is pretty
much in your hands. Its all about the content and what you can do
with your time. Of course there are a huge mound of barriers and
bureaucracies and things that are truly not fair that get in the way,
but I still think, at the end of the day, its what you can produce,
content-wise that must build its own support.

It seems like this must be the perspective or mind-set that you would
need to be the most effective under the situation of deciding to go
with a network like Podtech.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I always saw Podtech as a record label
that supports artists, not entrepreneurs or business people. It was
meant for the people who dont want to deal with all the business,
they just want to do one thing: make great content. If they just can
do that one thing well, they are entrusting the record label to do
the rest. Its more intertwined than that really, but thats the gist
of what I mean to say. The record label of course expects or at least
hopes that the artist will make some kind of work that allot of
people will want to see.

With Rocketboom in particular, we do not have the support of a
network. So its different, we do all of the business and try to grow
everything ourselves. Along with some help from Josh Kinberg and
Kenyatta Cheese, I pretty much did the whole thing daily myself for
the first 6 months with Amanda Congdon pitching in a couple of hours
per show. Eventually we we were both doing it full time. While I had
some editing support here and there, after one year, I hired a full
time editor. So after one year, we went from two to three. The growth
of the audience and the demand for time to grow the business
supported the growth of additional people.

 From an artistic perspective, it's very draining to research, write,
direct, edit and publish every day by yourself (keep this point in
mind, I'm about to drive it home). Then, we hired Ellie to help
assist me with all of the business stuff (she is still with us and
has way grown out of that role).

After Amanda left, I eventually hired support to help get the whole
business together, tight, up to date and clear. Now we are growing as
we manage other projects as well. We were and still are in a start-up
mentality which is a different kind of place to be for us, compared
to an artists who just needs a place to do their art.

The thing I figured out over time - and this is the main point I
wanted to share - is that it only takes one or two but you have to
factor in endurance. Its not a sustainable kind of lifestyle for the
long term. Because the content must strike a chord in people which
justifies the budget, the budget should go up and down depending on
prospects and historical performance.

While I have always been outspoken about Podtech, my theory has only
been on one angle, which is content; I think Robert has that down and
continues to invent his own direction as he goes, but no one else on
Podtech seemed to strike a chord with people in a way that was
memetic for some reason. While I have very little idea and almost no
opinion on the inner-working of Podtech, Eddie, I think perhaps in
theory, you had two people who were capable and you also had the rest
of the business taken care of for you (you were prepaid) - you had
full times sales, web support, community, all kinds of stuff that you
didn't have to deal with on a day to day basis that others do.

If you were looking for help and direction, why not try to study
Scoble more closely on what he does. At least he does whatever he he
does well so to having him around on a daily basis would be a huge
resource. Isn't it traditionally the case that people have mentors
who help them to grow their craft? If not by support, by method?

Anyway, setting all of that aside, how many people do you think it
should take you to do what you want to do?