On Sun, 20 May 2012, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

On 5/20/12 5:45 AM, Paul Irish wrote:
Since no one mentioned it, I just wanted to make sure this thread is aware
of the Network Information API [1], which provides
navigator.connection.bandwidth

It's been recently implemented (to some degree) in both Mozilla [2] and
Webkit [3].

As far as I can tell, the Mozilla implementation always returns Infinity for .bandwidth.

And this is perfectly compliant, since the spec says:

   The user agent must set the value of the bandwidth attribute to:

       0 if the user is currently offline;
       Infinity if the bandwidth is unknown;
       an estimation of the current bandwidth in MB/s (Megabytes
       per seconds) available for communication with the browsing
       context active document's domain.

If no one is planning on implementing this feature in a meaningful way, why is it in the spec?

(yes I know this is not exactly the right list).