On 05/21/2012 04:34 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
On 5/21/12 10:09 AM, Mounir Lamouri wrote:
On 05/20/2012 03:04 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
On 5/20/12 5:45 AM, Paul Irish wrote:
Since no one mentioned it, I just wanted to make sure this thread is
aware
of the Network Information API [1], which provides
navigator.connection.bandwidth

It's been recently implemented (to some degree) in both Mozilla [2] and
Webkit [3].

As far as I can tell, the Mozilla implementation always returns Infinity
for .bandwidth.

This is not true. There is an implementation for Firefox Android which
is based on the connection type.

Ah, indeed. I had missed that codepath.

If I'm reading the right code now, that looks like it returns a constant
value for each connection type (e.g. if you're connected via Ethernet or
Wifi it returns 20; if you're connected via EDGE it returns 0.2, etc).

This suggests that the API is extremely silly; although one could presumably claim that "an estimate" allows one to return anything, I don't see how returning "20" if the server is feeding you 1 byte/second can be helpful to anyone. If no one plans to implement this as a loose proxy for "type of connection" the spec shouldn't pretend to do more than that.

Can you point me to the discussion of usecases that led to this design?