Rick, Ted,

 > At this stage of the project we are just researching which options
current popular CMS systems

There are many many many (did I say many?) different features possible.
I think you should first pick a target audience and then model your CMS
towards that group of users with their application.

 > We are also in doubt about using the JSR-170.

I can sincerely recommend using a JSR-170 implementation. Because:
- you will be using a standard, this looks good on your graduation report,
- the hard-to-do-right mapping from a hierarchical structure to a (flat)
database is already done for you so you have more time for other features.

Good luck and have fun,
     Erik.

--
Erik van Oosten