> a lot of people would prefer just an API that takes a list of users and
returns reports with a set of standard metrics ran over a standard period
of time with standard parameters.

curious to hear more about this, Dan. Can we take 15 minutes to chat this
week?

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 7:55 AM, Dan Andreescu <dandree...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Could Wikimetrics be expanded to show total pageviews of articles and
>> total views of images, for entire categories and/or lists of multiple
>> articles starting from variable dates?
>>
> Wikimetrics is a canned query tool.  It could be modified, sure, but we
> would need a public API that served the data you're trying to query.
> Wikimetrics answers all its current queries from labsdb, which does not
> have any pageview data.  So far, this pageview data has only been available
> via these archives that are added hourly:
>
> media counts: http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/mediacounts/daily/2015/
> page views: http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/pagecounts-all-sites/  (soon
> to come, better more normalized data)
>
>> This would help GLAMs and affiliates to track the viewership of content
>> creation that we have supported.
>>
>> Or are there tools other than Wikimetrics that already make this possible?
>>
> This quarter we are focusing on a public API that you can use to query
> this kind of data on-demand.  While Wikimetrics could use this data, and
> the metric would be easy to write, it would be harder to extend the "cohort
> of users" concept to "cohort of pages" or "category of pages".  Maybe the
> API we build will be easy enough to use that Wikimetrics won't be required.
>
> I have become quite skeptical of Wikimetrics's value after some talks with
> the folks who use it.  It seems that instead of Wikimetrics a lot of people
> would prefer just an API that takes a list of users and returns reports
> with a set of standard metrics ran over a standard period of time with
> standard parameters.  I'd love to hear thoughts around this.

*Dario Taraborelli  *Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org • nitens.org • @readermeter
<http://twitter.com/readermeter>