We use 802.1x to do machine auth on equipment that we own and that is in
the domain.  We use Group Policy to push all of the settings.  We have auth
type set to 'user or computer' once the user logs on it flips to user
auth.  Its really cool because NAC will give the computer a 'Computer'
policy when nobody is logged in and we can push updates or get statictics
on the machine when nobody is logged in.  At the point when someone logs on
the computer is already on the network and connected to AD.  Logins are
smooth and then the user gets whatever policy is appropriate for them.

Your question was most likely meant for student owned computers but college
owned 802.1x has huge advantages.