List seems to sum it up pretty well.

I think user wise dot1x is better ....... "once setup". So while it may be more
of a pain to configure for some users, once configured the experience is much
better as they walk on to campus and are connected.

Having a captive portal is probably a good option for those that can't get
dot1x working .

I'm interested in the 10% though, do you get them all connected in the end? 10%
seems quite a high percentage

--
Jason Cook
Technology Services
The University of Adelaide, AUSTRALIA 5005
Ph    : +61 8 8313 4800

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Hanset, Philippe C
Sent: Wednesday, 20 November 2013 9:56 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] 802.1x vs web-portal

from the top of my head...

###What's bad for the user:

-Captive portal: no encryption over the air, pesky re-authentication and
timeouts, no authentication of the infrastructure  (yes, when you accept that
SSL Cert from RADIUS you actually authenticate the infrastructure)

-802.1X: finicky supplicants, and, without a good installer, long config
instructions. Strongly authenticated (can't escape the system ;-)

###What's bad for the network engineer (and user stuff as well...):

-Captive portal: CPU capacity of portal (802.11ac!!!), clients taking IP
addresses and air time even if not authenticated, authentication can be defeated

-802.1X: bugs from various vendors. A pain the troubleshoot when not working.
Certificate Expiration and help desk calls resulting from it

add yours!

Philippe

Philippe Hanset
www.eduroam.us