From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Alexander, David
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:56 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Guest Network Access Policy

We have had a policy in place for several years requiring guests to be
sponsored by an employee in order to use our wireless network.  There are
two types of sponsorship - short term (5 days) and long term (30 days).  In
addition, sponsored guests must register their network devices via MAC
address registration to gain access to the network.

Our guest wireless implementation has caused some issues with public areas
like our student center and event spaces which host groups of people who
require network access, and the identity of the guests isn't always known in
advance.

I wanted to know about guest network access policy at other schools, and I'd
appreciate your feedback on the following questions:

1)      Do you allow guests on your wireless network?

a.       If you allow guests, what steps do they need to take to gain access
to the network (eg. sponsorship, MAC registration, open network)?

b.      If you require sponsorship or device registration, can you explain
the process or give me a pointer to your policy?

2)      Is your wireless network completely open in any part of your campus
(eg. Library, student center, event spaces, athletic fields, etc.)?

Thanks,

Dave

!DSPAM:911,52d857c626331142020247!