Agreed, even flat text files will work.

Personally, I've always preferred LDAP, as many other applications and devices
we have deployed can make use of the same LDAP backend for centralized
authentication (e.g. basic web applications such as Cacti and Dokuwiki as well
as network devices from various vendors such as our Barracuda). There are
plenty of applications that also support using SQL as a datastore, but they may
require that you adhere to a specific schema.

LDAP, in my opinion, gives me the greatest flexibility.

As always, YMMV, "best tool for the job", etc.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis           e: jer...@as54225.net
Network Engineer           m: +1.812.865.0581