Ugh, I just send this reply but forgort to include the Subject:
Anyway,

Thanks.  I did get everything working with the merge module, and I did find the
standalone MSI alternative to the merge module. I hope that the licensing is
the same with the XTal MSI as with the merge module.

I do use Orca all the time (every since I got started years ago with
InstallShield 7).  It gave me clues as to where to schedule the self
registration standard actions.  The help file with the Windows Installer SDK is
also a great reference.

I agree, the merge modules are a bit of a mess.  The SAPI 5.1 merge modules
will also generate a lot of ICE errors.  I hope when the team updates
references to 5.3, that those are better.