Here's a sample that demonstrates the problem:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi";
xmlns:sql="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/SqlExtension";
xmlns:iis="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/IIsExtension";
xmlns:util="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/UtilExtension";>
        <Module Guid="02f45038-587d-4cc0-af41-0380cf378c2c" Id="TestMergeModule"
Language="1033" Version="1.0.0.0">
                <Package Id="02f45038-587d-4cc0-af41-0380cf378c2d"
InstallerVersion="200"
Manufacturer="Test Company" Compressed="yes" />
                <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
                        <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
                                <Directory Id="MANUFACTURERFOLDER" Name="Test
Company">
                                        <Directory Id="INSTALLLOCATION"
Name="Test Product">
                                                <Directory Id="TESTPATH"
Name="Test Path">
                                                        <Component
Id="WebConfigComponent"
Guid="02440d26-f08c-4b28-b037-8303314ff4dd">
                                                                <File
Id="WebCONFIG" Name="Web.config" ReadOnly="no"
Source="$(var.SourceDir)Web.config"/>
                                                                <util:XmlFile
Id="ModifyValue" Action="setValue"
ElementPath="/configuration/ValueConfiguration" File="[TESTPATH]web.config"
Value="Value"/>
                                                                <CreateFolder/>
                                                        </Component>
                                                </Directory>

                                        </Directory>
                                </Directory>
                        </Directory>
                </Directory>
        </Module>
</Wix>

If I remove the util:XmlFile line, the merge module will correctly copy
web.config.  With that line, I get "failure to configure XML files" error,
and web.config has not been copied.

Is there anything I can do here?