Yes, I should have netfx linked in. It shows in my project References and it
is listed at the top of my wix project:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi";
         xmlns:netfx="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/NetFxExtension";>

Now we build through msbuild - building the main solution file so would this
be an issue as it has never caused any issues with any of the other Wix
extensions that have been added to our projects and built through msbuild?

Here is the install log to indicate that the NETFRAMEWORK45 property does
not get created:

MSIc7937.LOG
<http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/file/n7595786/MSIc7937.LOG>