Hi,

I am using Wix 3.9.1208.

I have an installer created earlier with Install Shield Limited Edition that
installed as a per user package. I have been upgrading the original
installation over the last two years. I now need to upgrade the program using
Wix as I need the additional functionality Wix provides.
The issue I am having is when I use Wix as the installer and I have the
InstallScope attribute set to per-user I get an error message that says "the
installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory" and the message
is pointing to the Program Files/My Application directory.

I have done quite a bit of research on this over the last two days and I
believe this issue has been brought up several times e.g.
http://sourceforge.net/p/wix/mailman/search/?q=per-user+Program+Files+insufficient+privilege

The answer seems to be to be either move the installation away from Program
Files or to elevate the InstallScope attribute to perMachine. I can confirm
that perMachine does fix the privileges issue but it is not a viable solution
for me in this instance.

Neither of those two options will work for me.

1)      I cannot change the InstallScope attribute as I am creating an update
so the InstallScope between the two versions need to be the same or it will
install side-by-side instead of updating.

2)      To change the location of the install directory means changes to
settings and possibly the source code (I won't know until I test)!

Does anyone know of a solution that will allow me to do a per-user install to
Program Files?

Kind regards
Scott Ferguson