To me at least that's not the problem you're describing - that's a
restatement of your solution, the implementation of which is to block
an MSI install if another product is already installed. Anyway, it
looks like you'll need to write code to do this as outlined earlier
based on detection of an installed product with that UpgradeCode.
Would it be a hardship to move to 3.9 WiX?

If there is way of dealing with your problem by doing it in the MSI
with an upgrade element to "onlydetect" the installed product, and
have the MSI behave differently then that would be a possible
solution, which is why it might help to know the problem your
detection of that product is going to solve.
Phil Wilson