On Mon, Dec 18, 2023 at 02:50:27PM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
> On 18.12.2023 14:46, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > On 18.12.2023 13:11, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm not as expert as Andrew in all the speculation stuff, but I will
> >> try to provide some feedback.

> >> Could you elaborate on the reason why deferring the IBPB to the exit
> >> to guest path is helpful?  So far it just seem to make the logic more
> >> complex without nay justification (at least in the changelog).
> >
> > I've added "(to leave behind as little as possible)" ahead of the 1st
> > comma - is that sufficient, do you think?
>
> Actually, the next patch supplies better context, i.e. is more / also
> about avoiding to clobber Xen's own predictions.

Right, that I got from next patch, but given context switch is already
a quite heavy operation, does avoiding the cleaning of the branch
predictor make that much of a difference?

IMO it needs good justification given it's a change that makes the
logic harder to follow, so if it turns out there's no difference I
would rather leave the IBPB at context switch.

Thanks, Roger.