On 19.01.2024 17:37, Kelly Choi wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 10:09 AM Yann Dirson <yann.dir...@vates.tech> wrote:
>> On 1/17/24 18:10, Kelly Choi wrote:
>>> A survey was recently conducted to identify how the community as a whole
>>> feels about a certain situation. It was not intended to ban specific
>>> wording or create a policy to do so, but more to give context that the
>>> community has a wide range of ideas, and individuals may agree and
>>> disagree a lot more frequently than we as individuals might think. It
>>> helps us understand that as a community there are many situations where
>>> it is not clear. As such, the results indicated a very even split among
>>> the community, which indicates a larger problem as we may not always
>>> come to agreement.
>>>
>>> There is obvious frustration with how certain matters are handled, as
>>> some members may want the project to move faster, whereas others like to
>>> take a cautious approach. Given we are an open source project,
>>> differences in opinion are likely to happen and what we don’t want to do
>>> is cause further frustration.
>>>
>>> *This is where I would like to propose the idea of a ‘Community Process
>>> Group’.*
>>
>> That made me look for a list of official roles in the project, which I
>> found at [0].  How up-to-date is this list?  The Release Manager role is
>> mentioned there but not described, the Community Manager role is not
>> mentioned at all, and the only link to get project leadership info [1]
>> redirects to unrelated information.
>>
>> [0] https://xenproject.org/developers/governance/#roles-local
>> [1] https://xenproject.org/developers/teams/hypervisor
>>
>> I feel it would be necessary to have a clear view on the current
>> situation, before adding more structures.
>>

> Aspects of the information on the website are outdated and do require
> reviewing as part of a wider governance update.
> However, the majority of the information such as the roles of committers is
> still accurate. In this specific instance, the CPG would act fairly similar
> to a project lead in terms of progressing the project forward. Rather than
> it being one person, it will be a collective group of elected members. From
> my understanding, we haven't had a project lead for a very long time within
> the project and this was before the governance was formalized. If the
> community is happy, we can replace the project lead role with the CPG.

It was my understanding that with the departure of Keir, it was intentional
that the "project lead" became a team (the committers) rather than again a
(then largely randomly selected) individual. If that understanding of mine
matches that of others, I don't think there's a need to change anything.

Jan