On Thu, 2024-02-01 at 18:39 +0000, John L. Poole wrote:

> While the Xen Project "make" works, the Gentoo emerge
> of app-emulation/xen-tools does not unless the three lines are
> removed to simulate prior 4.17.3 and earlier code.
>
> I suspect the Gentoo approach
> of building tools first contributes to the problem.

The problem is that -D__XEN_INTERFACE_VERSION=… is being set on the
compiler command line, in ${CFLAGS}.

Clearly it isn't qemu itself which does that. And I think you said
above that invoking the qemu build even from the Xen makefiles directly
is also working fine?

So the question is why the Gentoo build is setting that explicitly in
CFLAGS?