On 2/2/2024 11:25 AM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2024-02-01 at 18:39 +0000, John L. Poole wrote:
>> While the Xen Project "make" works, the Gentoo emerge
>> of app-emulation/xen-tools does not unless the three lines are
>> removed to simulate prior 4.17.3 and earlier code.
>>
>> I suspect the Gentoo approach
>> of building tools first contributes to the problem.
> The problem is that -D__XEN_INTERFACE_VERSION=… is being set on the
> compiler command line, in ${CFLAGS}.
>
> Clearly it isn't qemu itself which does that. And I think you said
> above that invoking the qemu build even from the Xen makefiles directly
> is also working fine?
>
> So the question is why the Gentoo build is setting that explicitly in
> CFLAGS?

Correct.

I downloaded

https://downloads.xenproject.org/release/xen/4.18.0/xen-4.18.0.tar.gz,

staged and entered the tree, ".configure", then "make" and everything
worked.  That's when
I decided Gentoo's package/build system was affecting matters and I
later determined that Gentoo
had made the decision to bifurcate the build order and build tools in
its own package,
app-emulation/xen-tools, and then xen in its own package
app-emulation/xen, the
former being a prerequisite to the latter.

I've postured this divergence in the bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/921932#c21

-- John