On 24.12.2012 13:42, Phil Race wrote:
But jpeg might matter.
Oracle JDK does not/cannot use the system libjpeg for all purposes
because of some necessary proprietary code in the version used by ImageIO.
So a change would have to be confined to the OpenJDK and even if done
solely for splashscreen in Oracle JDK would mean two libjpegs being loaded ..
The proprietary JPEG-extensions are already disabled in the Makefile, when building OpenJDK (as opposite to Oracle JDK). From openjdk/jdk/make/sun/jpeg/Makefile

   # OpenJDK doesn't use the non-standard jpeg classes which we hope to
   remove.
   ifndef OPENJDK
   FILES_m = mapfile-vers-closed
   FILES_export += \
            sun/awt/image/codec/JPEGImageDecoderImpl.java \
            sun/awt/image/codec/JPEGImageEncoderImpl.java
   vpath %.c   $(CLOSED_SRC)/share/native/$(PKGDIR)/image/jpeg
   OTHER_INCLUDES += -I$(CLOSED_SRC)/share/native/$(PKGDIR)/image/jpeg
   endif

So, I don't think, this is still a concern (with OpenJDK, that is). Yours,

   -mi