Phil,

Just on Project Jigsaw and moving to a modular JDK then we've been doing preparatory work for this for several years (it had its own JEP in JDK 8 for example). There isn't a JEP yet proposing a Modular JDK but hopefully soon. In the mean-time I think we have to continue the clean-up and getting things consistent. Erik and Magnus are doing great work to clean-up the build and prepare for when we restructure the source code as modules.

On the psfont files then I think you are saying that they aren't really intended to be user editable. If so then they would be a good candidate to move from $JAVA_HOME/lib in the image to a module-private location (once we get the JDK to the point where it is building a module image of course). That can come later.

For now and for the source location then I think we have to listen to Erik and Magnus' arguments for consistency. Also the source tree needs to be much more approachable than it is now. In the case of properties files then it is not obvious where they go and whether you can use getResources at runtime to access them. So I think Erik's patch to move these to src/share/lib make sense as it makes it much more obvious where they will be in the build output.

-Alan