Andrea,

Great to have your point of view !

Is it public data ?
Is it possible to convert this particular shape file to a MapBench's
serialized command file (not simplified, please) ?

It would be helpful to have concrete but very complex shapes to perform
both renderer benchmarks (marlin, pisces, ductus) and diagnostics (cpu,
memory ...)

All of your comments are spot on (modulo the confusion over Pisces/Marlin
>>> vs Path2D).  And you are right that 500 seems pretty lean to me.  800K path
>>> segments seems to be a pretty large outlier, though, do we really see paths
>>> that large other than via a test case?
>>>

>> Yes, my spiral test is insane !
>> but it may happen sometimes in GIS to have huge polygons ~ 300 000
>> segments.
>>

> Nah, your spiral is still in the sane zone. A few days ago someone on
> GeoServer user list complained its 100MB shapefile
> was slow to draw (and 100MB is not that much) so we checked, it contained
> only 5 geometries, here is a query
> returning the number of points from each of them:
>
> > select st_npoints(geom) from puffer;
>  st_npoints
> ------------
>      183783
>      538938
>      709089
>      933145
>     3213841
>     1127425
>
> Want insane? Try 3 million points like in the second to last geometry :-)
>
> Cheers
> Andrea
>
> PS: GeoServer will clip and simplify the  geometry before throwing it at
> java2d, exactly because we know
> java2d is not so good at handling this  kind of complexity

Do you have a fast and efficient polygon clipper in geoserver ?

I know that both Pisces & Marlin do not clip polygons against the clip
boundaries
=> it is a remaining task in my TODO list on the Marlin renderer !

Cheers,
Laurent