Compilers have also gotten really really good at recognizing memory copy loops and applying the same optimizations automatically depending on the optimization level.

I'd really prefer to just leave this code alone and maybe find a way to tag the line to silence the warnings from the tool. If we must replace the code, we would need to do performance benchmarks in any case...

                ...jim