Some additional information.
The Swing calculates the size of the components and location of the cursor based on the text metrics. And these text metrics based on advance. The Swing do not know to what destination it will be painted, it calculates the size based on the non-scaled(non-retina) destination. The problem occurs when we paint such component to the hidpi screen, because we get small round errors per glyph -> this causes a visible issueы when the text string is long. As a solution on the macosx the round operation was done in the users space instead of dev space.

For example before the fix the size 1.4px was rounded to 3 (1.4 * 2 = 2.8 -> 3), but after the fix it will be 2 (1.4-> 1 * 2 = 2). So the Swing will be able to calculate correct size/location without information of the device scale. Note that the 3px(in dev space) is a kind of fractional coordinate in the user space(1.5). And the Swing does not work properly when fractional metrics are used, because it use ints as a coordinates.

Note that the fix should be applied only when fractional metrics is off, otherwise we should not use any rounding. I am not sure that the current fix take it into account.